Saturday 16 August 2014

Things you learn from the idiot box

As mentioned, this weekend was largely spent watching TV - however I actually learnt something. Taking a break from the riveting drama mindless drivel of The OC, I watched the first two seasons of Derek, and educated myself on Robin William's career with Patch Adams. The whole time a range of quotes really stuck with me..

Now I know my own beliefs, however I think this is such a valid point for our society,

"I don't think it matters if there is a god or not. I've met people who believe in God that are good and that are bad. And I've met people who don't believe in God that are good and that are bad. So, just be good. I'm good. Not 'cos I think I'll go to heaven, but because when I do something bad, I feel bad. And when I do something good, I feel good." - Derek (Derek)

Upon  the topic of kindness,

"You make a living from what you get, you make a life from what you give." - Hannah (Derek)

"Kindness is magic."
- Dougie (Derek)

"She said it was better to be kind than to be clever or good looking, I'm not clever or good looking. But I'm kind." - Derek (Derek)


Also, relating to our kindness towards others, highlighting not only how important it is to stop thinking about ourselves, but also how healing this can be,

"The doctors didn't help me. The patients helped me. They helped me realize that by helping them I could forget about my own problems. And I did. I really helped some of them." - Patch Adams (Patch Adams)

Finally, upon the topic of labels - and their functional relevance to everyday life. When Derek is asked if he would be willing to be tested for Autism, the following conversation takes place:

"If I am 'tistic will I die?"
"No"
"Would I have to go into hospital? Would they have to do tests on me?"
"No"
"So will it change me in any way?"
"No"

"Well, don't worry about it then." - Derek (Derek)

No comments:

Post a Comment